Frequently Asked Electrical Questions

Here is some helpful electrical advice and answers for common questions:

Q. What is Part P?
A. Part P is the legislation that protects homeowners from unsafe electrical installation work

Q. What is Notifiable Work?
A. Electrical installation work in the home must legally be carried out by either a registered electrician or signed off by the local council’s building control

Q. Who can certify notifiable work?
A. A registered electrician can certify electrical work without a visit from the local council

Q. What is a NICEIC contractor
A. NICEIC approved contractors are assessed to the highest standards covering all types of electrical contractors and installations

Q. Do you have Public Liability insurance?
A. We maintain Public Liability insurance of £2m

Q. What is a Consumer Unit?
A. A Consumer Unit is the modern day fuse box, it contains trip protection instead of fuses in case of electrical faults

Q. Do external power sockets need protection?
A. All external sockets must be protected in case of a dangerous short, such as a cable being cut by a hedge trimmer or mower

Q. Can we stay in the house while a house rewiring is being done?
A. Yes, we are able to rewire a property which is occupied

Q. During a rewire do the old wires need removing?
A. It is good practice to remove redundant wiring, but if not possible, redundant wiring can be permanently disconnected from an electrical supply

Q. What is a RCD - Residual Current Device?
A. An RCD is a life-saving device which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch a bare live wire.

Q. Is RCD protection mandatory?
A. RCD protection has been mandatory on all newly installed circuits in England since 2008

Q. The RCD on the fuse board trips wont't reset?
A. It is probably due to a faulty appliance like kettle, washing machine or dishasher. Unplug each one to find the culprit

Q. Is it a legal requirement for a landlord to have an electrical certificate?
A. Landlords are required by law to ensure that the electrical installation in a rented property is safe when tenants move in and maintained in a safe condition

Q. As a landlord is there a legal obligation to have a periodic inspection on an occupied property
A. The owner of an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) has a legal obligation to have a periodic inspection every five years

Q. What is a periodic inspection?
A. A periodic inspection is a safety check on electrical installations

Q. When should a landlord get a periodic inspection report?
A. When a property is being prepared for letting

Q. What is an Electrical Condition Report (EICR)
A. It is the report of a periodic inspection by a registered electrician

Q. Who can carry out a periodic inspection?
A. Periodic inspection and testing should be carried out by a registered electrician

Q. What is a PAT test?
A. Portable Appliance Testing or PAT testing is the process of checking electrical appliances with visual and electronic tests

Q. What appliances need a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) Certificate
A. Portable or movable items will have a lead and a plug. So it incluses kettles, toasters, vacuum cleaners, irons, and microwaves

Q. Does a loft conversion need an electrical certificate?
A. Loft electrics need installing and certifying by a Part P qualified electrician

Q. What is Main Earth Bonding?
A. Main earth bonding is used to connect the gas and water pipes to the earth terminal in your distribution board for safety

Have another question not already answered?

Contact us for friendly no obligation advice

Testing Electrical Connectors